Re: [RTTY] BARTG COMMENTS

To: RTTY Contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG COMMENTS
From: NQ4S - Delbert <NQ4S@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:19:14 -0500
Considering that I only had a spare hour to work BARTG it's no wonder I
didn't find you.

Thanks for the tips.  I'm thinking of trying to run during CQ WPX RTTY next
month.  My prefix should be fairly popular, so my potential in a run is
higher for this contest.  My biggest issue with running is that my system
can transmit better than it can hear.  In the past when I tried a run I
would call CQ but then I couldn't make out those responding.  On the other
hand, when in S&P, if I hear someone they will usually be able to hear me.

I'm thinking of setting up my CQ macro to drop power back to only 50W, send
the CQ message, and then bring power back up to 100W for the exchange.
Sending at lower power will hopefully mean that I'll have a better chance of
hearing the stations which can hear me as they would need a better antenna
to pickup my signal in the first place.

Regarding the passband, that is a real problem for me as I'm limited to AFSK
right now.  I need to build a custom interface to let me work FSK with my
SignaLink USB and TS-2000 and I don't think I'm going ot have a chance to do
that in the near future.  In SSB mode my radio will only come down a 400Hz
filter window (1000Hz to 1400Hz) so I find myself adjusting my mark and
space close to the top or bottom of that window when I'm trying to work
around a close by signal.  This won't be practial in run mode.

Delbert, NQ4S
http://nq4s.stuffofinterest.com/