Re: [RTTY] Dupes how to handle

To: <k4ww@arrl.net>, rtty contesting rttycontesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Dupes how to handle
From: Fabi va2up <va2up@live.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:04:17 -0500
Hi Shelby,

I don't argue with the points you make here and respect your opinion and
position on ALL of them.
Having said that allow me to point out a couple of things in sake of the game
we all like to play here as in 'rtty contesting'.
In most cases I have found that dupes appear primarily for two reasons:
unstable conditions and inexperience.
The reason why I work dupes is that despite all possible effort sometimes
conditions will trick the decoder and a 'valid' call is logged (as per
validation of master dta...) instead of the 'real' caller. This opens the door
to a very possible 'dupe' later on in the contest.
Another reason is because of the growing rtty contesting crowd. Many new folks
when starting out may be intimidated by the dynamics of a crowded contest.
Sometimes they will acknoledge an unsure exchange just to 'blend in' and not be
taken for fools (that they are not). ...been there done that!  In my view
giving these new contesters the 'slap on the hand' B4 just adds to their
insecurity and may actually drive them away from the sport.
As per the SO2R newby issue, I agree like I have stated here in the past but
sometimes (many times), the time gap may be due to other issues software
related for instance, as folks sending single digit numbers instead of 3 digit
ones (3  and not 003) difficult to click, or manually correcting a callsign
that has taken a hit in the entry window or simply answering to the xyl
screaming at them from the room upstairs....
For all the other cases well I guess they are the reason why the word LID was
first introduced...???

73,

Fabi  va2up
http://sites.google.com/site/va2upcontesting/