Re: [RTTY] Dupes how to handle

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Dupes how to handle
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:00:31 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On 2/13/2012 3:08 PM, trevor dunne wrote:

> 1. Stations calling very much off my freq, I use a Icom 756 pro2 in FSK/RTTY
> mode, with the filter at 250hz and some stations were over 100hz off from me.
> It was a constant job adjusting the RIT to tune in some stations.

REPLY:

This is usually caused by the misuse of AFC by the calling station. The
calling station has AFC on while tuning across the band and when he
comes close to you, the AFC reaches out and "grabs" you, so he stops
tuning. This leaves his TX frequency different from his RX frequency and
he has no clue that has happened.

This can also happen when the calling station turns off AFC but does not
reset his tones to their default values.

I wish hams would stop using AFC entirely. It doesn't do anything you
can't do with the big knob in the middle of the radio.

73, Bill W6WRT