Re: [RTTY] What does it take to finish in the top 10?

To: "Al Kozakiewicz" <akozak@hourglass.com>, "RTTY reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] What does it take to finish in the top 10?
From: "Mark n2qt" <n2qt@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:25:14 -0500
RTTY contests generally allow domestic contacts to count, which means
'little guy' installations
are not as penalized as much as they might be in CQWW SSB for example.  So
it's not just NAQP
were small stations are competitive.   (For example look at AA5AU's
remarkable string of RTTY
Round Up wins)

I find so2r is worth about 30-40% more score, but more importantly makes the
contest more 'fun'.
There is always something to do with two radios, so I don’t have to either
cq for limited responses
or s/p for low rates, I can do both!  (Doing just one or the other gives me
time to start thinking about
how uncomfortable my chair is becoming and how many other things I could be
doing.)

Unless you have good separation on your antennas, even at low power you can
get interference to
the point of damaging equipment.    Before you go making stubs or buying
filters, pick up a copy
of Managing Interstation Interference (sold by Inrad) and do the evaluations
he suggests, and
understand his terminology and methods.

Both WriteLog and N1MM have well thought out SO2R implementations, and you
don't need all the audio
switching that is used for cw/ssb.  RTTY is the easiest way to operate SO2R,
as reading two data streams
is far easier than decoding two in your head.   Skill, strategy and
competitive drive still figure prominently
into the mix.  (see again AA5AU's results!)

Unfortunately I haven't entered a NAQP RTTY so can't give you a score
comparison (I chose to beat myself
up on 160 SSB), but I am competitive in the other RTTY contests, with a
station remarkably like AA5AU's!

Mark n2qt