Re: [RTTY] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:49:26 -0400

>> Hold it down to 600 watts RF output and you can run it all day long.

600W output is close to the safe CW output!  Eimac's data sheet gives
600W CW or PEP as the "useful power output" for a single 3-500Z with
2500V on the plate.

Considering that it is the continuous current in the plate transformer
that causes the overheating and both power/heat are current squared
effects, reducing the current by 30% would reduce the heat by 50%.
A 30% reduction in current (to ~280 mA) would be roughly 1/3 reduction
in power out (if the plate tank can be adjusted to maintain efficiency)
or around 400 watts.

Even at 400 W, I would look for ways to add auxiliary cooling.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV