Re: [RTTY] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:31:02 -0400

REPLY: I disagree. The "carrier conditions" you quote are for Class C
plate modulated operation. This is not how the SB-1000 operates.

Plate current is plate current, plate dissipation is plate dissipation
no matter what the class of operation. In fact, since an amplifier is
slightly more efficient in Class C than in Class AB2, the tube should
be derated even more in class AB2 than in class C.

I'll repeat what I said in my original post: The limiting factor in
the SB-1000 is the power transformer, not the tube or tank circuit.
If you limit the SB-1000 to about 600 watts RF out on RTTY, you can
run it all day long with no problem. I ran mine that way for years.

Again, Eimac gives 600W as the useful output for the tube in CW or
SSB service at 2500V on plates which is considerably less taxing than constant carrier RTTY. Applying the same 20% decrease in output power
for a decrease from 3 KV to 2.5KV to the 640W value given for carrier
conditions gives 500W at best.

You were extremely lucky if you pushed an SB-1000 to 600W out in heavy
RTTY use.  The vast majority of those who did so report loss of the
power transformer, band switch and/or tube whilst those who kept the
power to 400W or less (Plate current 275 - 280 mA) suffered no similar
problems.

Is the extra 1.5 dB worth the possibility of losing an expensive
transformer and/or tube?

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV