Re: [RTTY] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY
From: Jay WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:13:05 -0700
Heat is indeed the enemy of RTTY. Air, air, and a lot more Air. I recall the Portland, Oregon National ARRL convention a long while back. Right next to Bill Henry and the Hal Communications booth was the famous brick on the key amplifier company. They had this new amp that was advertised at 100% duty cycle. I got to talking to the guy and told him I would but it and then run it in an upcoming RTTY contest (which is about 30% keydown BTW) after a couple of 30 minute RTTY ragchews (which we used to have on the bands commonly).

He said, whoa...well we have this special option for this extra fan for RTTY. Needless to say when my old buddy Ron K5DJ then AB5KD bought that new shiny Alpha it came with the extra RTTY fan option.

And its not only the power supply but also the tank circuit in nearly all amps that gets killed with RTTY. Even an old Henry has that problem. Plenty of PS but I have melted the solder out of the tank on several occassions. Until mounting fans above the tank and in many that is very difficult. Note AL-1200 which used to have a rather small set of holes over the tube exhaust was in later models increased greatly in size. In their AL-1500's which we ran at the W5KFT ranch we always had one or two muffin fans extra blowing air usually one in and one out.

As Joe sez more air means fine teletype that's MAMFT a new one for ya.

Jay WS7I

Even at 400 W, I would look for ways to add auxiliary cooling.