[RTTY] HA: STATION IDENTIFICATION IN CONTESTING

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] HA: STATION IDENTIFICATION IN CONTESTING
From: "Vladimir Sidarau" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:14:11 -0400
Despite being quite off the FCC regulations, I for one also firmly support
inclusion of the DE in the end of transmission for 2 reasons.

If I tune down the band and catch the very end of a message being just
ABC1A, I can read it as
1. ABC1A is calling CQ or
2. ABC1A finishes his exchange or
3. Somebody has just sent an exchange to ABC1A.
It means, I don't know WHO has just sent this message. Therefore I have to
wait for another transmission (read, waste my time) to find it out. But if
the message ends with DE ABC1A, I know for sure that it is ABC1A who I have
worked before and I keep on tuning down the band.

Another thing. During a run more than one station call, let's say, two. When
I reply, by mistake they both may revert with their exchanges and I did not
even copy the 2nd call-sign. If their exchanges are just VE3IAE 599 05
VE3IAE, I don't know whom I have just copied and whether I have a QSO
completed or not. DE <HIS CALL> would settle that right away.

(Just curious, how many times this topic has been discussed here...)

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE

---

-----