Re: [RTTY] RTTY Newbie Questions

To: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Newbie Questions
From: iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@dseven.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:17:47 -0800
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com> wrote:

> 2- How does one monitor their own (FSK) signal to see how good or bad it is.
>
> **
> A key question I would have is:  if you find out it's bad, what are you going
> to do about it? Buy a new radio?  The only way to tell would be an "old time"
> scope on the RF output of your transmitter.

That strikes me as a rather odd perspective. If your signal is bad
(splatting, causing QRM, etc,), you should:

1) STOP TRANSMITTING
2) Fix it

There were WAY too many splattery signals in the RU, and some with
horrible buzz and noise covering multiple kHz (probably AFSK with
audio problems). We need to be more aware of the cleanliness of our
RTTY signals, IMO.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML