Re: [RTTY] Debate

To: John GW4SKA <ska@bartg.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Debate
From: Jeff Stai <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:47:53 -0800
hi John - I do get that. Let me put it another way...

I can decide to operate in the BARTG Expert class for the Sprint. I can
operate 1 or more radios and change bands whenever I want. I am not
burdened by any band change rule in this case.

Or, I can decide to operate in the SOAB class. Now I must take care not to
change bands too often. This rule burdens the entrant who chooses to
operate SOAB to follow the band change rule.

Or, I can just decide to get on the air and make contacts. I don't want to
worry about band changes so I just S&P and chase spots. In this case my
rule-ignoring behavior could inadvertently land me in the Expert class
because of band changes.

Notice how the operators who don't want to to operate Expert are the ones
who have an extra rule to follow.

If I then extend the concept of a band change rule to distinguish whether a
station is SOnR or not, you are again putting the onus on the one-radio
station - that does not want to be considered SOnR - to follow a rule.

That's the rub. - jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff@gmail.com