Re: [RTTY] BoD votes LoTW initiatives

To: "rtty-contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BoD votes LoTW initiatives
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:04:07 -0700
Ah!  I see a couple of silver lining, guys.

Can you imagine what we can do with a 2 kHz FSK shift?!  Selective fading can
be fully eradicated.

A CW station can also no longer QRM your QSO.  We can go to Mark-only or
Space-only copy and a CW station can be S9+40dB on top of the Mark or the
Space, and a modern receiver will be able to ignore him completely and still
copy a 2 kHz shift S2 signal.

I checked, and I can make that change in cocoaModem with 1 line of code change.

Notice that they first raised the possibility that a multi-tone signal *can*
today use more than 2.8 kHz (not that any exists).  And then completely go off
on a red herring by proposing to limit it to 2.8 kHz.  Why not limit it to
something sensible like 500 Hz?  Do they think we are too stupid to notice?

More seriously, if this passes, we can launch a protest by not participating in
the next ARRL Roundup.  It will need a lot of constitution on everyone's part
to abstain (when plaques are easy pickings if the big guns join the boycott),
but it can be done.

73
Chen, W7AY