Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 09:30:19 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 2/5/2014 8:15 AM, Phil Sussman wrote:
This causes calling stations to keep calling over and over without
vacating -- thus keeping multiple frequencies occupied with callers
(unless they are worked in which case they would be immediately
replaced). In short, there could be no synchronization with the
operating pattern of the DX station.

REPLY:

I agree that is a valid concern, but I think it is outweighed by the advantages. And of course, most of us monitor various DX clusters. When he announces QRT, that's it.

Keep in mind the four main advantages you would be gaining:

1. No interference from jammers on the DX frequency.
2. No interference for non-split lids on the DX frequency. In fact, just the opposite: They free up a slot for the calling stations and bother no one but other non-split lids. 3. No more Kops with their UP UP UP (often with obscenities) and no more lids telling the Kops where to go etc, etc. 4. You don't need to work split. Simplex is all you need. Even ancient rigs with only one VFO will do just fine.

I would suggest the DX stations use this format for CQing: CQ QYF 5 <CALL> K The "5" indicates how long between CQs. No need to indicate UP or DOWN if they are listening the whole sub band. Of course they can say UP 2-5 (or whatever) if they prefer.

I think QYF is much more civilized. Isn't it worth a try? I'm open to better suggestions.

73, Bill W6WRT