Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?

To: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 11:27:09 -0600
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com> wrote:

> Are there any 'hints' for working DX from a mobile (I have a camper with
> RTTY capability) or QRP ? It seems to be that unless the DX station asks
> for mobiles or QRPs, there's no way to 'break' a big pile-up.

One of my elmers, Woody, K5GOE, got 5BDXCC all with 100 W and wire
antennas.  I'm trying to do the same (got 15 and 20 and getting close
on 10 - don't ask about 40 and 80!).  I get a lot of credits from
contests, but I try to work the big DXpeditions, too.

I think antennas have more to do with it than power as do most people,
but I have discovered over the years that, especially in a contest
when CQing, your station is loud to somebody somewhere.  Result being
that I run way more in contests than I used to.

DX is sort of the same - I think you need the right attitude.  Now,
with a mobile antenna you're even more at a disadvantage than my ~8 m
high dipole, but I bet if we worked out the difference in dB it's only
an S unit ...