Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 18:54:43 -0600
It doesn't do much good to sit on a clear frequency when the DX is working
stations on the other end of the split. Another issue is that pileups are
dynamic, and they move up and down following the DX, sometimes predictably
and sometimes not. The tactic that has worked best for me is to find the
station the DX is working, then find a clear frequency near the edge of the
mini-pileup within the pileup, and send my call three times, repeating the
call until the DX comes back to me or somebody else. At that point, the game
starts all over again unless I was the station worked. That's put 315 RTTY
entities in my log, including three bands on RTTY for FT5ZM. For
perspective, I'm transmitting 1000 watts into a TH-11 at 48 ft. in Eastern
Iowa.

One other trick you may want to try. I tune the pileup and note the callers
that sit on one spot and call every cycle. If I see them worked, I know
where the DX is listening. They're frequency beacons that give me an edge.

Nelson, KU0A