Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?

To: RTTY group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 07:18:29 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 2/4/2014 3:53 AM, Tom Haavisto wrote:
Have you really thought this through, and does your gear even support this style of operation?

REPLY:

I've thought it through as much as I can without actually doing it.

Even simple gear would support this as long as long as the rig has two VFOs.

Here's how I would do it:

1. Initially set both VFOs to his CQ frequency.
2. When he finishes his CQ, go to VFO B and move up to a clear frequency.
3. Continue to call his until he answers me or I get tired, always monitoring my own freq to be sure it's clear. 4. If another station is calling him on my freq, QSY unless the other station is weaker than the DX would be if he called me.

Dual receive would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

The DX station should CQ every few minutes. The format could be CQ CQ CQ QYF <CALL> UP or possibly some variation.

Keep in mind the three major advantages:

1. No jammers on the DX CQ frequency. If they do jam a calling station, it's only one station instead of jamming for everybody. 2. Anyone who forgets to go split won't bother anyone. In fact just the opposite: That's one more clear freq UP. 3. No need for the Kilocycle Kops with their UP UP UP and various obscenities and other stations telling the Kops to QRT, etc, etc.

The only way to know this would work is for a DXpedition to try it. Let's hope one does, and of course they must announce QYF operation well beforehand, explaining what's involved.

73, Bill W6WRT