Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?
From: Robert Loranger <bobloranger@videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 22:36:59 -0500
Good trick Nelson.  Here is something of similar flavor
Earlier this week I worked FT5ZM using a different trick: sort of riding piggy-back on a powerful W5 caller sitting in on one spot and calling every cycle. For sure his beam was not pointed toward VE2 land, yet he was coming in loud and clear. So I figured he would likely be heard by FT5ZM. Then why not tail-gate him. Having dual receive, I set my xmit freq on top of the W5 but remained _silent._...until I copied FT5ZM sending "W5xxxxx 599...etc", copied the W5 reply to FT5 and as soon as FT5 sent "tu...up", I pounced VE2AXO twice. Bingo, I ended up in FT5ZM log (within 5 minutes of dual watch). Come to think of it, it is a bit like S&P during a contest. You wait until the on-going exchange is completed and you pounce. Of course in a contest we are sure the wanted station will not run away but here I figured the FT5 operator would not move that quickly away from this frequency just in case another station was waiting in the background. Well it sure did. Of course this trick may not always work but it seems to me that pea-shooters like me (100 watts or less) may find it a useful addition to their bag of tricks. As long as the powerful station keeps calling, relax but listen carefully and remain alert to pounce!
Enjoy chasing rare DX,
Bob  VE2AXO