Re: [RTTY] BARTG CONDX

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BARTG CONDX
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 09:02:52 -0500
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> The Maunder Minimum discussion is interesting but I certainly don't see how
> they can predict this with much accuracy. At the present, some scientists put
> the odds of going into a minimum at 25-30%. That's means there's a 70-75% we
> will NOT go into a minimum. I'll take those odds.

I'm certain that 92% of the "talk" about a solar minima comes from hams.

We do know that the sun is about 5 billion years old (give or take).
Assuming that the solar cycle has been averaging 11 years in all that
time, then there have been about 460,000,000 solar cycles.

We have good data on the last 24 (and not as good data for a few before that).

But sure, go ahead, worry about a another "Maunder Minimum".  Like
Don, I'll go with the 7/10 chance that there will be no such thing
(and I am going to see if the other 8% talking about a minima are
actually scientists).