Re: [RTTY] QST article about Win XP

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] QST article about Win XP
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 12:15:21 -0700
For what it's worth: I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 3647 from Best Buy for $299. It comes with Windows 8.1 64 bit installed, but no com ports. I installed a com port card with two ports which allows me to do RTTY PTT and FSK and rotator control. I also purchased two USB to serial adapter cables which allows me to do rig control and WinKey. There were no compatibility issues at all. I run the DXLab suite and N1MM Logger with no problems.

Also, Win8.1 has a "compatibility mode" which allows me to run an old XP journal program which initially gave an error message when I tried to install it, saying it would not run on this version of Windows. Using the compatibility
 mode, it runs fine on 8.1.

I agree Windows 8.1 has a much different look and feel from previous versions, but once I got used to it, I actually prefer it. Frankly, I think Microsoft has done a very poor job of promoting and explaining 8.1. At first, like many people, I hated it but I stuck with it and came to appreciate it's virtues. It really is better once you learn it.

Not trying to push any product or dealer, just letting you know what's available for not much money.

By the way, the Dell computer comes with a lot of software installed which you probably don't want or need. Just uninstall them one by one. No problem. And DO create a rescue disk as is recommended.

The usual disclaimers apply. No commercial connection with any of the above.

73, Bill W6WRT