Re: [RTTY] QST article about Win XP

To: Gordon Bousman <nw7d.ham@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] QST article about Win XP
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:19:11 -0500
On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Gordon Bousman <nw7d.ham@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe the author, who is an "IT executive for a Fortune 500 retailer" wants
> to promote the purchase of new hardware but I found the inaccuracies in his
> article to be rather remarkable.  You would think that the QST editors
> would take a little closer look at the credibility of submitted articles
> such as this.

I was going to say "An executive?  Well, there's your problem!" but
then AA6YQ (a long-time IT executive himself!) pointed out that the
author of the error-riddled article was someone who really should know
better since he's behind a popular MS-Windows-based radio software
package.

The 2006-vintage Dell at N5UWY runs W7 Enterprise without issue.
Granted, it's a P670 which was fairly hefty at the time (dual Xeons, I
think), but W7 runs fine.  And I run ARC780 in the XP emulator just
fine as well.

So, yeah, not a good article.

Considering the hundreds of notes by "Ed." in most issues' articles,
it's amazing that this made it through unscathed.