Re: [RTTY] What is this auto mode that QRM's me?

To: Neal Campbell <nealk3nc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] What is this auto mode that QRM's me?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 21:15:10 -0400

When the "professional management" and Legal Counsel don't know enough
- or don't have the balls - to tell two renegade Directors that the FCC
have already told ARRL that they will not approve wideband modes in the
spectrum traditionally set aside to protect narrow band modes from the
asymmetric interference from wide band modes, the CEO and Legal Counsel
need to go.

In 2006 the Commission told ARRL exactly what needed to be done when
they allowed image modes up to 500 Hz to be treated as data and operate
in the narrow band spectrum.  K1ZZ has been saying that "regulation by
bandwidth" is some strange new concept that overturns everything we
have now. That's a bald face lie - in WT 04-104 (FCC 06-149) <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-149A1.pdf>
(footnote 89, page 12) the Commission clearly and unequivocally stated:

Separation of emission types by bandwidth minimizes or reduces
interference because it protects narrow signals from interference
from wide signals. Amateur licensees have accepted this division of
spectrum as a method for minimizing interference for as long as the
amateur service has been regulated, and no commenter in this
proceeding requests eliminating emission segmentation based on
bandwidth.

If ARRL had simply asked that RTTY and data be permitted in all of
each band subject to the restrictions already in 97.307(f)(2) and
added a 400 or 500 Hz limit for all modes in the traditional narrow
band allocations, we would not be having this debate.

ARRL could concentrate on productive work like asking for regulations
that: 1) require all protocols used below 30 MHz be fully documented
(including data encoding "keys"); 2) that the "automatic operation"
sub-bands be moved to the highest 5% of all bands greater than 300 KHz
wide so the automatic systems can avail themselves of wider bandwidths;
3) require that all digital systems include a spectrum (or "waterfall")
display [for systems under local control] or functioning busy channel
detectors [for systems under automatic or remote control] to prevent
interference; and 4) eliminate the exemption which allows automatically
controlled stations to answer stations under local or remote control
outside the automatic control sub-bands.

All of these are things that a competent CEO (who served on the ad hoc
committee) and Legal Counsel (who drafted the petition) should have
known and insisted on as part of the process.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV