Re: [RTTY] New Winlink usage

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New Winlink usage
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:23:56 +0000
AC0C wrote:

> If you are telling me that a guy listened before he hit send, then I have
> bridges
> for sale and a business card that lists me as your monkey's uncle.

I don't think anyone's saying that.   The most likely explanation for what was
observed, however, was that someone keyed up without listening (or simply not
caring, or to get his jollies by creating additional QRM).

> Now in fairness to WL, it could als be some guy's idea of creating
> interference
> and just happens so that the guy was using pactor as the mode.
> But since you can't decode pactor, the average Joe Ham has no idea of even
> where to begin.

You begin in the same place that you do with any other QRMer.  Of course, as
it's rare that a malicious QRM identifies himself by voice, RTTY, or CW, the
fact that Pactor3 isn't readily decodable without a modem doesn't seem to make
matters any worse than any other form of malicious.

Of course, if you heard an automated node respond to the QRMer, the center
frequency involved and the publication of Winlink node frequencies whould make
it a pretty short list of candidates who have placed too much faith in
listen-before-transmit (or who have disabled busy detection).

--
Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@n1en.org