Re: [RTTY] New Winlink usage

To: <nq4u@mtars.org>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New Winlink usage
From: "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:18:57 -0400
Here's an illustrative failure scenario:

1. A station in Pittsburgh is in a digital mode QSO with a station in San
Francisco.

2. A Winlink user in South Carolina listens, doesn't hear the station in
Pittsburgh or the station in San Francisco, and so activates a WinLink RMS
in Washington DC

The WinLink RMS transmissions make it impossible for the station in
Pittsburgh to copy the station in San Francisco, destroying that QSO.

Had the WinLink RMS been equipped with a competent busy frequency detector,
it would easily have heard the station in Pittsburgh, and thus ignored the
activation request from the South Carolina station.

      73,

            Dave, AA6YQ