Re: [RTTY] Some basic RTTY questions

To: Michael Rapp <mdrapp@gmail.com>, "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Some basic RTTY questions
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 21:17:28 -0400
The essential part is that the tones are separated by 170 Hz and that they're
in the passband of your receiver and soundcard/software combo.  Transmitting
using FSK, you have no choice on the absolute value of the tones - they're set
by the transceiver firmware or through hardware in older radios.  With AFSK,
you can set them anywhere within reason.

On receive with FSK, you can, in theory, set the VFO off frequency to get a
"more pleasing" set of tones and compensate by fiddling with the MMTTY mark
frequency to properly decode the signal.

 The main issue with doing any of this is operational in nature. With FSK you'd
have to run split.  With AFSK everything tracks OK, but you'll have to do some
math to figure out the correct dial frequency for, say, a spot.  Some logging
programs will do the correction for you, but since I don't run AFSK, I don't
know if they can correct for any arbitrary mark tone or only 2125.

Al
AB2ZY