Re: [RTTY] Some basic RTTY questions

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Some basic RTTY questions
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 15:03:30 -0400

I'm wondering if I can dispense with the switching all together. I
don't have an electronics background so sometimes simple things elude
me.

Yes, you can dispense with the switching.

Would there be a problem with the PTT line from the Signalink and the
PTT line from the W3YY box being connected to the PTT pin on the
FT-950 at the same time? They obviously wouldn't be keyed/carry a
signal at the same time.

Signalink USB uses a relay for PTT, W3YY uses an optical isolator both
are high impedance in receive and low impedance in transmit - they can
be connected in parallel without any problem as long as you do not
generate audio in the Signalink when transmitting RTTY.

Of course, most digital programs include the option to generate PTT
using the RTS line of a serial port.  You could disable the Signalink
PTT completely and use the W3YY board/serial port for PTT with all the
modes.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV