Re: [RTTY] RTTY reversebeacon spotting network wow!

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY reversebeacon spotting network wow!
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:29:43 -0400
In addition to the S&P stations being spotted, there were also some running stations who did not leave spaces on the end of their CQ messages so that their call signs showed up multiple times with extra letters appended, e.g. spots for VE3KI, VE3KIA, VE3KID, VE3KIF, VE3KIK, ... all on the same frequency (made-up example!).

The solution I found to both of these problems was to use filtering at the cluster. The first day my filter was just (mode = rtty), and I saw both of these problems often. The second day I changed to (mode = rtty and (skimvalid or not skimmer)), and that eliminated 98% of both kinds of problem. If the cluster you are using does not support the "skimvalid" filter, you can use (mode = rtty and ((skimmer and unique > 2) or not skimmer)) instead.

This doesn't always work. While running very near the end of the contest, I was called by a VE4. He was instantly spotted on my frequency by 5 skimmers(!), and immediately after that I was called by two European big guns, both dupes for me, both obviously hoping for the MB mult based on the bad skimmer spots. I can't see anything in our QSO that would have caused this. Our QSO was no different from my others, and other people calling me did not get spotted on my frequency, nor was the VE4 station usually spotted while S&Ping any more often than I was (occasionally only, in other words, and usually only spotted by one skimmer when it happened). Gremlins??

73,
Rich VE3KI

N3QE wrote:

In the contest itself, I would get spotted within seconds of starting to
CQ. There were a couple of CQ'ing stations that had something about their
CQ'ing style that cause S&P callsigns to get spotted on their frequency,
and I don't think everyone got this pattern because sometimes folks would
try to call me when I was S&P. Hint: if 40 stations are all spotted on the
exact same frequency, 39 of them are probably not what's there!