[RTTY] RTTY reversebeacon spotting network wow!

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY reversebeacon spotting network wow!
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 09:36:47 -0400
Last year I was pretty much full-time in CQ WW RTTY and went unassisted
after being not particularly impressed by RTTY spots from skimmers.

This year, while helping some local friends get up to speed on RTTY, I was
actually very impressed by the reversebeacon spots from RTTY skimmers. They
seemed to have very much improved acuity and breadth. This, combined with
the fact that I was going to be off the air much of Saturday, helped me
decide to go assisted this year to use my limited time better.

In the contest itself, I would get spotted within seconds of starting to
CQ. There were a couple of CQ'ing stations that had something about their
CQ'ing style that cause S&P callsigns to get spotted on their frequency,
and I don't think everyone got this pattern because sometimes folks would
try to call me when I was S&P. Hint: if 40 stations are all spotted on the
exact same frequency, 39 of them are probably not what's there!

Big thanks to the folks who are running the skimmers!

Tim N3QE