Re: [RTTY] RTTY reversebeacon spotting network wow!

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY reversebeacon spotting network wow!
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:03:27 -0400
After consulting the list of strings that the RTTY skimmer recognizes (see <http://wz7i.com/cw-skimmer/rtty-skimmer.html>) and thinking a bit more, I think I know what it is about the CQing style that may contribute to S&Ping stations being spotted.

If a CQ message or the CQer's TU QRZ message at the end of a QSO ends with either CQ or TEST, and the S&P station calls in immediately (so there is no noise burst in between) with their call sign, with or without a leading DE, the skimmer can get confused and think the end of the CQing station's message was part of the S&P station's message.

To prevent this from happening, it looks to me as if CQing stations should either end their messages without a trailing CQ or TEST (but *with* a trailing space, please!), or they should tack on a non-space character such as a K following the final CQ or TEST (with or without another trailing space; no-one needs to be able to read or click on the K, so a trailing space isn't needed here the way it is on call signs and exchanges), e.g.:
CQ TEST VE3KI VE3KI<space>
CQ TEST VE3KI VE3KI CQ K
but not:
CQ TEST VE3KI VE3KI CQ
Guess which one I was using!

73,
Rich VE3KI

N3QE wrote:

In the contest itself, I would get spotted within seconds of starting to
CQ. There were a couple of CQ'ing stations that had something about their
CQ'ing style that cause S&P callsigns to get spotted on their frequency,
and I don't think everyone got this pattern because sometimes folks would
try to call me when I was S&P. Hint: if 40 stations are all spotted on the
exact same frequency, 39 of them are probably not what's there!