Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency

To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:05:29 -0500

> Like it or not, the bands are shared usually based on bandwidth of the
> signal (depending on your country).

While that is true, IARU recognize the "center of activity" concept.
The JT65/JT9 "center of activity" is x.076-x.080 *and that does not*
*change* just because there is a RTTY contest - any more than the
PACTOR autobots leave 14.095-14.0995/14.1005-14.115 and PSK31/63
abandons xx.070-xx.074 for the duration of the contest.

RTTY contesters need to learn if the dial reads less than xx.0805 they
are causing *intentional QRM* to other modes and find another frequency
or band.  I was frankly disgusted by the number of *big guns* who should
know better coming up on top of existing TJT9 and JT65 QSOs all weekend.

It is time that RTTY contest sponsors make a strong effort to educate
their participants about other digital activity below xx.080 (between
xx.070 and xx.080) particularly on 20 and 15 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV