Re: [RTTY] Decoder performance on crowded bands

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Decoder performance on crowded bands
From: Lee Sawkins <ve7cc@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 23:58:19 -0600 (MDT)

----- Original Message -----

From: "Tim Shoppa" <tshoppa@gmail.com>
To: rtty@contesting.com
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 2:25:41 PM
Subject: [RTTY] Decoder performance on crowded bands

Tim

You were implying that something is wrong with my node's default filtering.

Your own filtering at the VE7CC-1 cluster node was last updated Dec 14, 2014.
Your country filtering is wide open. However, in your state filtering you have
set it to only accept spots from CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, and VT. This means
you are rejecting all spots originating in the other 40 states and all of
Canada. You will however receive spots originating anywhere else in the world.
Rejecting spots from as close to you as say DE, PA, VA, etc and accepting spots
from as far away as 9V1, ET3, VU, etc. The node was just giving you exactly
what you asked for.

73 Lee VE7CC

I happened to enter assisted as well. I started with VE7CC cluster and its
default skimmer filtering but it was not letting all the skimmer spots I
wanted through. Even though the calls were being spotted by 3 or 4
skimmers, lots of time they were not getting through whatever additional
checks were enabled in VE7CC cluster. So I went straight to
reversebeacon.net and took the full brunt of the firehose. It was obvious
not all the skimmers covered all the RTTY band - some (especially EU)
seemed to only be skimming in the 080-100 segments. But others were
skimming all the way up to 150kc above the band edge and those proved very
useful because activity was just huge this weekend! The frequency
resolution and accuracy seems to have improved in the skimmers in the past
few years and often times I would click on a spot and be tuned within 10Hz,
that is great!

Again, thanks to the authors of all these wonderful decoders, and the
skimmer guys.

Tim N3QE