Re: [RTTY] My FT-950's RTTY power level admonition

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] My FT-950's RTTY power level admonition
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:42:11 -0000
GW4SKA wrote:
>6 seconds between CQs is a long time. 2.5 to 3 seconds is plenty.
>In a big contest you could lose your run frequency in 6 seconds
!!!!!!!!!!

In a big CW contest, maybe, but in RTTY we usually get a few seconds
more [1].

However, there does seem to be an ever-widening gap between the serious
RTTY contesters and the much larger number of casual datamode operators.
I'm getting increasingly impatient with the long stretches of "dead air"
that some operators always leave before coming back (what are they doing
in this time?) and then it's always with a relatively low serial number.

But worst of all are those painful, limping QSOs with people who are
very obviously using a Morse key into a K3/KX3. One hates to discourage
them... but...

[1] "Me and My Run Frequency" - http://tinyurl.com/hdt9wrm

73 from Ian GM3SEK