Re: [RTTY] [N1MMLoggerplus] RE: GRITTY

To: Rick Ruhl <ricker@w4pcsoftware.com>, "k9yc@arrl.net" <k9yc@arrl.net>, "N1MMLoggerplus@yahoogroups.com" <N1MMLoggerplus@yahoogroups.com>, "'Alex, VE3NEA'" <alshovk@dxatlas.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [N1MMLoggerplus] RE: GRITTY
From: Rudy Bakalov via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 16:59:26 +0000 (UTC)
Is there anything that prevents commercial products from licensing GRITTY,
2Tone, and other RTTY decoders? There are two issues here:
1) The software developers have invested a lot of time and effort to create
their own intellectual property. It is only fair for a commercial product to
offer revenue sharing if the said product wants to use the decoders.
2) Free software = no expectation of support, paid software = expectation of
support. Alex, David, and the other decoder developers may not be interested in
getting themselves involved in supporting commercial products due to lack of
time or whatever other personal reasons.
At the end of the day there are many practical and commercial considerations
developers have to make. So if they don't want to support this or that product
or create this or that feature, well, it is their choice.

Rudy N2WQ