Re: [RTTY] WPX

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] WPX
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 08:45:37 -0500
Someone else running on the same frequency does happen, especially for low
power ops, however usually I get a sense when this is occurring. Timing
will be off and if I suspect this is happening I'll listen extra long
between CQs or ask for an exchange report even though I copied it fine.

I have seen a number of occasions when someone had a completely different
callsign than mine in their log entry window, perhaps the last station
that they worked on a different frequency and when they send a mycall
theircall report it just becomes confusing. So if a macro is set this way
it is extra important to have the correct callsign in the entry field
before making the QSO. I do not always know the complete callsign when
calling someone.

I have worked P49X two dozen times in contests and I have never sent Ed's
Aruba callsign. Exchanges were quick and hopefully I made it into his log.

John KK9A

From:   "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date:   Sat, 17 Feb 2018 08:11:00 -0800

On the CQ, I also prefer the response not begin with my call, but there are
a number of situations where I'm really glad the other station started with
my call.  Again, for the same reason.  I may suspect I've got another CQing
station on my frequency and this assures me that I'm not wasting my time
trying to work someone else's pileup.  I'd rather know sooner than later.

So, it's a mixed bag but I'm OK with hearing my call even on the CQ response
when the frequency is crowded.  If there is only one caller and I'm
confident the frequency is clear, then I'd just as soon the QSO be snappy
without the unnecessary instances of my call.

Ed W0YK