[SECC] N1MM Newbie for WAE DX SSB

Subject: [SECC] N1MM Newbie for WAE DX SSB
From: aldermant at alltel.net (Tommy)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:47:17 -0400

>This will be my first HF contest in quite a few years.  My recent
>contesting has been limited to the various VHF/UHF Sweepstakes and VHF
>QSO Parties.  The only contest specific software I've used in the past
>for the VHF/UHF tests has been CT.  However, I'd like to start using
>N1MM for the majority of my contesting.

If your going to start using N1MM, you should start NOW! N1MM is an
excellent contest program, but it's very full featured. It is not
something you start using the day of the contest because it has so
many features, you will quickly get confused unless you have some
practice with it. You MUST read the Help files and in particular the
'Getting Started' information on the N1MM web. But just because it's
a complex program, don't let it get you down, just learn how to use
it, and it most likely be THE contest program you stick with. It's
very helpful that your PC is running Win XP. If your PC is still
using Win 98, you will run into more operational problems, even
though N1MM is compatible with Win 98.

>Anyone have any tips for N1MM newbies?  N1MM seems to have quite a bit
>of rig control.  My rig is way too old for rig control so I will not
>be using any of these features.

N1MM has a 347 page user manual. If you don't read a LOT of the
start-up process, you will get lost! You will miss some great
features by not having rig control; the band maps, when connected to
a telnet DX cluster are extremely helpful especially with rig
control, but you can just use N1MM as your logging program for now.

>Also, anyone have any tips for the WAE DX SSB contest?  If I find a
>free spot to call CQ for a bit, should I call "CQ EUROPE"?

No, like most contest, you call "CQ (contest name)"....such as CQ WAE

>Due to antenna limitations, I will be restricted to operation on 20M
>with a dipole and 40/80 with a vertical.

You will be surprised how well you can do with wire antennas!

Tom - W4BQF