[TRLog] TRLog and Win98

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog and Win98
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 01:13:28 +0000
At 10:24 AM 11/18/98 -0500, CQK8DO@aol.com wrote:

>TR runs funny in a window on Win95 in my experience... This is on several
>different machines... The polling of the radio gets erratic, cw has pauses,
>etc... It runs fine when the machine is warm booted to dos 7.0, so that is
our
>standard method at this time.. It ran better on dos 6.x...

I experience none of these problems when running TRLog from WIN95 window on
a 486DX66 or under a WIN98 window on a P2-220MMX.  Most of the time I run
the screen "full size"  rather than windowed. But  I do run in smaller
window when I'm just playing in  a contest and want to access the Inter-net
or when I'm experimenting with a new set of commands on a logcfg.dat file.
This way I can make changes quickly with out having to wait for the re-boot
cycle when  running in DOS mode. I do see a bit of a slow down when writing
the backup log to a floppy or 2nd hard drive. I always run TRLog from the
LOG directory and copy the contest files to a separate directory AFTER the
contest. I don't think this makes a difference in some of the problems
folks are reporting relative to slow downs during cache. It is possible
that the erratic radio experience is a function of the radio as well? I
have all my experience on a TS-850s for what ever that is worth . I do my
CW and PTT keying from a parallel port (LPT2) rather than a serial port for
whatever that is worth. The serial ports are dedicated to The radio (COM2),
and two TNC's (COM1 and COM3, on HF/RTTY and the other VHF/PACKET). and a
modem (COM4). I have no experience (YET!) with networked and multi radio
setups. I haven't tried interfacing to a USB but that is next. The lure of
20 COM ports ts too much to pass up I can see it now... two radios Hell
lets have a separate radio on every band at all times!

When I am SERIOUSLY contesting I do close ALL other applications and I'm
not a big fan of running "gadget" utilities (special screen savers, gray
line or prop programs, special memory managers or disk cache programs, etc.
) in the background.

For what its worth.....
Dave
K9NX
..

<snip>
>bad vocabulary... Don't mess with success...

Precisely the kind of thinking that would still have us traveling across
continent on trains and across oceans on steamships instead of planes!
Experiment! Learn! Grow!

>I have no experience with Win98 and at this time I have no desire to get said
>experience... I have heard some good things about 98, but also heard some
>terrible swearing...

I did swear at WIN95 but eventually learned to tame the beast.I spent hours
booting and rebooting , read countless manuals on how to deal with
system.ini and WIN.INI ....  Win 98 is a pussycat by comparison but maybe
that's because I learned how to tame its mother. In hind site it has been
worth the trek because I no longer feel helpless or victimized by Bill
Gates and his band of thugs ... I still resent all the money the SOB has
made ...I take small solace that is probably a special place in Hell for
Bill ...but hey  bring on WIN2000!...SNORT

Dave
K9NX

PS: