[TRLog] Serial #, Pathological behavior in a network

Subject: [TRLog] Serial #, Pathological behavior in a network
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:44:28 -0800 (PST)
Scott Dawley writes:

> I concur...I tested this leaving LOTS of time
> between exchanges on the two computers, and the
> serial #'s still got hosed.
>
> "Lots of time" = 30 seconds +/-.
>
> --- "Violette, Daniel R"
> <Daniel.Violette@West.Boeing.com> wrote:
> > I don't believe the computers are an issue.  Each
> > computer believed it was
> > giving #518 because the other computer hadn't
> > notified it yet that the
> > number was used.  Once computer A got notified that
> > the other used #518 it
> > had already sent #518.  They were a 386 and a 486
> > computer with minimum
> > settings (not even sure if we have SMARTDRV on).
> > They are club machines and
> > we set up quickly.  We just decided to so this last
> > week.

Oh.....you are using TWO computers.

Yes you will have serial number problems - the program does
not reserve numbers and it does not know you have used a number until
you log the QSO and it is sent over the network to the
other computer.

--

George Fremin III          "I'm talkin' 'bout that outlaw X
Johnson City, TX             It's cuttin' through the air.... "