Re: [Trlog] New TR684.ZIP

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] New TR684.ZIP
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:00:34 -0600
On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:47:35AM -0600, VE5ZX wrote:
> I have a pair of DBS-2 band decoders from Arrat Solutions that were suppose
> to work directly from my Icoms but they don't.
> http://www.arraysolutions.com/images/DBSTabletop%20Manual.pdf
>
> The result is that I have to get the band information from a serial port.
> Currently I get the band information from TR log on serial ports to send to
> the decoders because the Icoms don't have a serial output.
>
> Syl  VE5ZX

Syl,

Icom radios provide two different kinds of outputs for
frequency and band data. One is a variable analog voltage,
which indicates band only (not frequency or mode.) It is
available via one of the ACC DIN jacks. The other output
is TTL-level serial digital data, provided at the 1/8"
jack labeled "REMOTE" on most Icom transceivers.

Looking at the manual link you provided, your WX0B band
decoder does not work with the Icom analog "band voltage"
available on the ACC DIN plug.  Your band decoder only
works via the Icom serial remote or "CI-V" port, which
is the 1/8 inch "REMOTE" jack on most Icom transceivers.

This output is a serial output, but the level is TTL, not
RS-232. A level convertor is needed to talk directly to a
standard computer serial RS-232 port, such as the Icom CT-17
or a homebrew version. It looks like your band decoder has
the level convertor built-in, if I am reading the pin outs
in the manual correctly.

What kind of Icom radio are you using, and at what baud rate?
The latest versions of TR-Log past 6.79 will not work below
4800 baud with Icom transceivers.  If you can set the radio
for 4800 baud, you'll be glad you did. The response is faster.

-Kirk  K4RO