[TenTec] low priced Ten-Tec, Modules

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] low priced Ten-Tec, Modules
From: k5rov@worldnet.att.net (James Parsons)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:02:21 -0500
bames@mecasw.com wrote:

> It would seem that one should try the following experiment, either in fact
> or just as a thought experiment.
>
> (1) Set up the Scout into a dummy load, power off, room temp.
> (2) Have a frq counter set up to moniter the frq when the rig is keyed.
> (3) Have a memory keyer set up to send a series of dits followed by a da
> which wil be long enough for the frq counter to measure the frq at the
> highest frq.
> (3) Monitor the frq ctr with a video camera (or other means) so the frq can
> be recordered along with elapsed time.
> (5) Turn everything on and run, at a given keying speed, for a half hour.
> (6) Do this for 3 or 4 different keying speeds, let rig cool between tests.
>
> I would be interested in seening the results. Would the scout settle down
> to where the transmitted frq was constant or, would it, result in a
> situation (at some keying speed) that you had noticable frq jumps as shown
> by the frq counter even after the temp had stabilized?
>
> Bill Ames
> KB1LG

Well, Bill, I didn't do anything as sophisticated as that, although it
would sure be interesting. I no longer have the three Scouts; they just
drifted and jumped too much, and I had too many comments from the
stations I was working. In this day and age of high stability rigs, we
just don't expect that any more.

I am retired and have loads of time to operated. I used my Scouts for up
to six hours at a stretch. I used both the internal and an external
(CMOS II) keyer. My average speed was 25 WPM, although, I did operate
considerably slower, and faster, depending on the other station's speed.
In all cases I had  the stability problems, and it did not get better
with length of operation. At least, the comments kept coming, regardless
of how long I operated. I finally set up the last scout I had so that it
sent continuous dits, and listened to it on another rig. The Scout
drifted right out of the bandpass, and I had to retune for it to hear
it. I was using a 500 hz filter in the receiving rig. The other rig was
an FT-1000, and is very stable. I wish I had left it on longer because I
don't know how far it would have drifted, or if it would reverse its
direction. But, I was afraid of causing damage. I treat rigs like
babies...hi.

By the way, I had no trouble at all, with any of the three Scouts on
SSB. I never got compaints of drift or jumping, and I have never worked
a Scout on SSB that gave reason for complaint.I would strongly recommend
that little rig for phone. And, It sure has a quiet receiver. I could
hear weak signals that were down in the noise on some of my other rigs.
A great little transceiver if only they would stabilize it.

73 Bill, and CUL

Jim, K5ROV
--
James (Jim), Parsons, K5ROV USAF, Ret.