[TenTec] OMNI V1 Sales

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI V1 Sales
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 21:45:50 -0800
> Over the past few weeks (perhaps as much as a month) there seems to have
> been a rash of folks selling their OMNI VIs, most of which have been
> upgraded to one of the Plus options.  Does anyone have a clue as to why

You know, Don, I noticed 4 or 5 of them, too.  I think it has been
about a year now that the plus has been available in some form.  I
suppose it is that a few of us get real high hopes and then find the
reality of the rig is just not quite exactly what we wanted.  Happens
with FT 1000's and TS 950's to some degree too.  I suspect it will happen
with all new offerings.  No special problems with Ten Tec here.

I had my OMNI VI upgraded to option 3 at the factory and I am pleased
as punch.  I turned down an FT 1000 in even swap (was in my shack
for a week so I could evaluate) before my option 3 upgrade.  Now, if
I was purely SSB and needed certain features and a wider sound, etc,
I would certainly go with the FT 1000.  It is a very very good radio.
An excellent radio, and holds its own next to the OMNI VI in most ways,
surpassing it in some ways for SSB in my humble opinion.....
However, when I tried to dig out weak CW signals next to stronger
QRM, the OMNI VI did it just enough better that I could tell the
difference.  The OMNI is not as slick, and I needed to learn how to
make it "sing" but I would stack it up with the best of the other rigs
in the nastiest of conditions and believe it will surpass them in
most cases.

When it comes to operator's preferences and tastes, some guys prefer
a Kenwood TS 570 or a Yaesu FT 920 to the OMNI VI.  OK, that's fine.
Different smokes for different folks and all that.  I prefer my OMNI
and I find it can do things other radios don't do as well, things that I
value.

Clark
WA3JPG