[TenTec] Omni Vi freq drift and poor keyer?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni Vi freq drift and poor keyer?
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 00:26:55 -0500

>gjn wrote:
>>
>> My OMNI 6+ will drift a little when I start the power supply
as I switch
>> it on. If the 13VDC is applied a couple of minutes before I
switch the
>> OMNI 6+ on, there is no drift, as the TCXO is DC supplied even
when the
>> POWER button is OFF. - So Ijust leave the power supply on and
have never
>> any drift
>
>Ditto here.  I just leave the DC power supply turned on all the
time and
>that's the end to that problem. If I'm going away from home for
an
>extended period of time, of course, I shut down the DC supply.
>Otherwise, it stays on 24 hours a day, allowing for the Omni 6+
>always be at peak stability.

I agree wholeheartedly about it only taking a couple of minutes
for the TCXO to warm up.  However, I don't agree with leaving the
Power Supply on all the time just in case one might want to turn
on the radio and operate.  I would no sooner do that than leave
my car idling in the garage to be ready if I need to run out for
a loaf of bread or something.

The basic tenet at KG5U is to have nothing connected to a-c,
rotator, remote antenna switch, or antennas when the station is
not in use.

If your station experiences one lightning strike (as mine has),
you will be convinced that (1) leaving equipment connected, (2)
the need to be able to turn on the radio and not wait the 2
minutes for stabilization, and (3) the need to be able to scroll
through the dxpacket cluster postings for the past day or two is
not necessary, not that important, and definitely not in the best
interest and well-being of the station equipment when the
operator is away.   Here in the Houston area, thunderstorms can
develop out of the blue.

Besides, having to go through the agony of dealing with the
insurance company to get equipment repaired/replaced (all
repaired; none replaced--how do you like them apples?!!), should
be plenty of encouragement to protect your station.  Definitely,
not a fun experience.

73,
dale, kg5u