[TenTec] Omni-V sick from pc

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-V sick from pc
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 20:43:12 -0000 (GMT)
You have my sympathy Scott. Sounds like the uncontrollable Omni-V
interface syndrome is biting you, but is it ???

Simple fix -- do NOT connect an Omni-V to a PC. If you must do this,
then make sure the PC software only tries to READ from the Omni-V
interface. Better still, (if the logging software allows any choice)
make sure it reads only when you actually want to log something ...
Any attempt to read the status of the Omni-V on a continuous basis and
even more so any attempt to actually control the beast is doomed .....
I tried this many times and finally quit wasting time on it, because
even if it works for a while, there is always some glitch that screws
it up. In my case, split operation and/or holding down the Omni-V REV
button usually did it very quickly.

But it never trashed Windows, and I cannot recall having to reset the
micro in the Omni-V itself. But sometimes I did have to switch the rig
off and start again with the radio and the logging/control software. I
wonder if you might have an additional problem, like RF feedback ?? The
clue may be the fact that you get the problem when the software is NOT
running .. but presumably only if the rig is still physically hooked to
the PC.

My PC (ancient P-100, 32 mb ram) runs Windows 98 all the time and
has the standard 3 wire connection to the Omni-V (TXD, RXD and ground).
It is also connected to two TNCs (KPC-3's, one on a UHF radio and one on
a VHF radio). I use all four serial ports; COM1-4. I read the Omni-V
interface when I hit ENTER to log; nothing more. Windows 98 has not
crashed and neither has the Omni-V. The most serious practical problem
has been occasional AC power outages during the night resetting the
system. Windows 98 is pretty good at recovering from these outages, but
it is necessary to re-start the logging/tnc software, of course.

73 John G3JAG