[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec antenna tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec antenna tuners
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:56:26 -0800
Most all of the commercially available tuners on the market today use the
'T' match with a Balun on the output for balanced feeders.  This design was
made popular by Lew McCoy in a QST article about 30 years ago.  These tuners
can deal with a very wide range of impedances but is not an ideal circuit as
has been pointed out in many articles over the years.  The Ten Tec 238 is
not a 'T' match but is a configurable 'L', a well proven design.  That is
why I recommend it over practically every other commercially available
manual tuner for ham use.  I do not use 'T' or 'L' tuners with their
toroidal baluns for balanced feeders I use a Johnson Matchbox which was
designed for that use.  And yes, good commercially available tuners for
balance feeders such as the E. F. Johnson Matchboxes are getting very rare.

Reid, K7YX