[TenTec] Scout Question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Question
From: ronald.hands@sympatico.ca (Ronald Hands)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:11:41 -0000
  Further to the comments about the Scout's frequency lock system (FLS)...
   It's my understanding that FLS is turned off when the rig is actually
sending CW.  It only intervenes when there is a pause in the sending.  If
your sending is fast enough, and lacking in half-second pauses, then FLS
will not correct the frequency drift of the PTO, the frequency will move
beyond the correction range, and next time FLS does get a chance to operate
it will think the rig has been retuned and will re-initialize itself to the
new frequency.
   Note that it makes no difference whether you are using the internal keyer
or an external model.
   I sent a letter to Ten Tec querying just how the system worked and Jack
Burchfield himself was kind enough to reply.
   I presume he would not mind if I quote, in part:
   "With FLS running at all times and OT (offset tuning) engaged, the
frequency will be changing with each character and space.  The whole system
becomes confused and refuses to work.  There wasn't sufficient space etc.
left in the microprocessor to try other schemes SO THE PRESENT SYSTEM OF
TURNING OFF THE FLS DURING CW WAS IMPLEMENTED (my emphasis).  We also turn
off the FLS when the OT is used.  If we didn't, the FLS would not allow you
to use the OT.
   "Frequency correction in CW will occur within a maximum of .5 seconds.  .
. . A short pause once in a while will usually solve the drift."
   I've found that my Scout seems to be stable if I key at anything under 25
wpm and leave normal pauses in the sending.
   I've also found that it won't tolerate being keyed with a keyboard.  I'm
a fast typist (thanks to a misspent life in the newspaper business) so I
tend to type ahead in the keyboard buffer and as a result there is *never* a
pause during the transmission.  The FLS never gets a chance to intervene and
hence the frequency will jump.
   I've found a low-tech cure for this: I use the keyboard only on my
Corsair II!

-- Ron  VE3SP