[TenTec] OMNI VI 10 meter birdies

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI 10 meter birdies
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:58:48 -0800 (PST)
I haven't ventured up to 10 meters in some years, just haven't cared.
When I took my OMNI up there, I found the infamous birdies singing away,
some zipper noises, stuff like that.  Others have made good headway by
bypassing, shielding, and ferrites.  I currently have some form of
awful infection and home for the week, so when my fever subsided and I
felt human again, I decided to just get some simple Radio Shack ferrites
and stick them around inside the OMNI VI where the noise seems to
originate.  You know, it did pretty well.  I used 6 snap on ferrites,
could not wind the wires around - just through once, and got all the
wiring that I could behind the band keypad and in the Logic Board
compartment.  It made quite a nice difference, for very little effort.
Much less OMNI VI noise on the band now (and the other receivers in my
shack notice it too...)  Just FYI for those interested.

I plan to mount a ground plate of thin sheet aluminum inside the Logic
Board compartment to cover most of the board down close to the components
as an additional simple, cheap form of shielding to see if that helps
more.  I think I can do that tomorrow.

Clark
WA3JPG