[TenTec] Receivability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Receivability
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:48:27 -0500
On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:15:12 -0500
<n4lq@iglou.com> wrote:

> I second that emotion. I've had the Omni V, Paragon and two Omni VI's
> and my conclusion is that the older TT rigs sound better on cw and
> none of them sound very good on ssb.

Really?  I've always thought that SSB sounded very good indeed on my
Argosy and my Scout.  I've owned other rigs from the "big three"
Japanese manufacturers, and only Kenwood's received SSB audio on my
ancient TS-660 sounds any better.  Transmitted SSB always yields good
signal reports.

I have always found CW a chore, and even more so now that my code speed
is up to a respectable level.  I want single signal reception, which, to
me, means the narrowest filter possible without ringing.  My main
objection to the Scout on CW is that the Jones filter can't go narrow
enough for my ears.  The Argosy with the optional filters is *much*
better.  I know some of you serious CW ops have wonderful filters in
your heads.  Mine is defective :)

I am seriously debating a very reasonable Corsair station that was
offered.  The ARRL lab tests on the original Corsair rank it's receiver
up there with today's best, which was quite surprising to me.  I'd sell
off the Scout to pay for it.  The other option I am considering is
trading the Scout in on an Argonaut V.  Anyone care to comment on the
received audio on the new Argonaut?

73,
Caity
KU4QD