[TenTec] Pegasus vs. Argonaut V - CW Filter Bandwidth

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus vs. Argonaut V - CW Filter Bandwidth
From: CAlderma@ora.fda.gov (Alderman, Chester)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:48:28 -0500
Hi Al and thanks for the note.

I've been an active QRQ'er for some 25 years and have had QSO's at speeds up
to 120 wpm, using both an Omni D and the Corsair II. I have heard Omin V's
running at 90 wpm, but I've never heard an Omni 6 copyable beyond 70 wpm.

When I purchased my Omni 6, I immediately called TT and it was explained to
me the reason the QSK was not any faster was because the phase lock loop had
a lock time of 10 milliseconds. To improve the PLL lock time, they would
have had to given up receiver performance somewhat. The receiver in the Six
was so good that I willingly gave up the faster QSK in favor of the better
receiver. (I'm also an avid 40/80 DX'er where the rcvr DOES count!)

While I do like to 'follow' technology, I think DSP is better for SSB
operation and not so spectacular for CW operation, i.e., I'm concerned about
the 14KC IF frequency in the Orion, NECESSARY because of the wide-spread use
of DSP. But I think the Orion rcvr is going to be a 'screemer' primarily
because of the ability to change the bandwidth of the roofing filter.

50 wpm is excellent and if your enjoying it, just keep plugging when you
can. Running high speed CW QSO's with full QSK is really a great fun thing
to do, more enjoyable than most people realize.

73, Tom/W4BQF