[TenTec] More on rig tests, choice etc

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] More on rig tests, choice etc
From: tlogan7@cox.net (tlogan7@cox.net)
Date: Sun Mar 9 11:39:20 2003
Hi all -
  After literally going through a spasm of entire shack equipment/rig
turnover in the last few months I heartily agree with John's comments. For
the record, after my "shack pverhall spasm" the shack now consists of an
Omni VI+, Corsair II (back after a temporary trade to Ten Tec on the Argo),
K2/100,  OHR500 and Palstar R30. In and out of the shack was an Argo V and I
let go a very fine Icom 756 ProII.
  One thing that surprised me is that, real or imagined, my Omni VI+ seems
much better than I remember my Omni V. On the other hand, one of the list
members went from an Omni VI+ to an Omni V in the last two months and likes
the V more. We speculated that perhaps even identical rigs may have their
own characteristics - just like a two identical keys will feel different.
  Another thing that surprised me was to see myself let the ProII go. I was
totally enamored with the ProII and very justifiably so. It is an amazing
rig. However, when I fired up that Omni VI+ - well it just fit me like a
glove and the Pro had to go to help pay for the VI and the Corsair. On paper
the Pro is better than the VI+. In my shack the VI+ is (for me that is) is
20 times more fun - even without an Icom style bandscope!
  My rig shuffling spasm is over, but it certainly proved to me that nothing
replaces that on the air test that allows us to each subjectively decide
what out favorite "operating feel" is.
73/Tim NZ7C