[TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration
From: efricha@dimensional.com (Eric F. Richards)
Date: Wed Jun 4 19:00:10 2003
At 04:54 PM 6/4/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Appropros of that  (protecting the input with a pair of diodes), wouldn't it
>be a good idea to protect our regular antenna connection in that exact same
>manner ?   Sounds too simple, so I must be missing something.

Well, T-T assumes you know what you are doing (and read the manual) before
connecting a frequency standard to the ext. standard input.  The antenna
input, on the other hand,  should be more robust given its exposure.  Sure
enough, on the preselector board (according to the schematic), there's a
gas-discharge tube on the antenna side of a blocking cap, and an inductor
to ground on the radio side of that cap.

Even so,  I take lightning suppression seriously.  I have polyphasers on
all antenna leads mounted on a common ground window.  Haven't lost any
radio gear yet.

--
Eric F. Richards
efricha@dimensional.com