[TenTec] Orion at field day

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion at field day
From: w.marty.ray@delphi.com (w.marty.ray)
Date: Mon Jun 30 11:36:56 2003
Hello, all. I managed to get in a few hours at the local field day site this
year. I enjoyed a few minutes on the K2 on 20m cw, then I went to the 40m cw
station for a while. For several years, the 40m cw station has been using a
Heathkit (can't remember the model number, but it's the transceiver with
digital readout...5400?). Nice older rig, good qsk, but it was suffering severe
front end overload and I had to back the rf gain way back. We were getting
overload from both strong signals on the cw band and also from the 40m ssb
station next to us. One of the guys there was thinking about buying an Orion,
so I asked him if he wanted to test drive mine. He said "sure!", so I went home
and brought it back. We hooked it up on 40m cw and the results were incredible!
No front end overload...not even from the 40ssb station right next to us. (The
40m cw and 40m ssb dipoles used a common end support, with the antennas at
right angles. We couldn't even tell they were on the air until they came over
to ask us if we were having as much trouble with inter-station interference as
they were having.)Awesome selectivity.

I was curious how the Orion was going to work in tough conditions, now I know.
Everyone that used the Orion was impressed. I'm not sure how many of those guys
have experience with high-end radios, but I have used several decent radios in
contests including the IC781, FT1000D & MP, TS940 (still have mine), Omni VI+
(my other radio at home), K2 (sold mine to help fund the Orion), TS850, and a
few others I can't recall right now. Now, I'm not going to say I can remember
exactly how each radio performed and rank them, but I can tell a good radio
when I hear one (as well as one that has some issues). The Orion is definately
a top performer. We were working weak qrp stations with S9+30db stations less
than 1kHz away. As a matter of fact, I found that I had to open up the
bandwidth a little because I could get 'too close' to another station's
frequency without even knowing he was there...no matter how loud the other
station. We saw everything from S-3 to 40+db over S-9. I had to give each
operator a quick tutorial before getting started. I had a couple of guys ask me
how to use the rf gain and/or attenuation. I told them not to worry about it,
you won't need it! I did try turning on the preamp just for fun and I could
detect some overload and some IMD, but that was to be expected.

The agc was interesting, too. I normally use the PROG setting with the
threshold near minimum, but the factory MED setting worked best for field day.
I never use the FAST setting. It seems really harsh...the band noise is just
too much, too quick. Perhaps it has its use, but I don't know what it would be.

The transmitter was great as well. The SWR climbed to 2:1 later in the evening,
and the Orion never had a problem with it. QSK is lightning fast. I ended up
adding 15% delay and still had two ops comment on how fast and smooth it was.

Up until this weekend, I had yet to really use the binaural receive feature. I
am not a big fan of extra fancy features that really aren't value added. If it
doesn't help get the job done, it is just in the way. That is how I had
classified the binaural rx. I tried it when I first got the radio, was
unimpressed, and disabled it 'til now. I thought it would be one of those bells
and whistles that never was really useful, but I changed my mind. The first op
to use the Orion wanted to try out the binaural rx, so I showed him how to set
it up. Later, when I sat down at the rig, (after everyone had a chance to try
it out first!) I found a clear frequency and called CQ. I immediately realized
that the binaural feature was going to be turned on a lot at home. I managed to
generate a decent sized pileup a few times and it REALLY helped to separate the
signals! I was pleasantly surprised.

Now for a couple of complaints. I don't want to anybody to accuse me saying the
Orion is perfect.  8)  When adjusting the bandwidth, I have a tendency to bump
the adjacent H/L CUT knob. I guess that really isn't a fault, per se, but still
annoying. Also, the cw sidetone seemed to have a funny sound that I can only
describe as a 'rattly overdriven speaker'. It wasn't very pronounced, but
detectable. The sidetone af gain was set at 39 and the pitch was changed
throughout the evening. (btw my Orion has been back for the mods). I haven't
noticed it at home, so I thought it was rfi. I backed the power all the way
down, but it was still there. I'll have to check this out more carefully at
home. One last observation. With the antenna connected to ANT1, we heard a LOT
of signals on ANT2 (with no antenna). The signals were down about 60dB, as
judged by the S meter. (ie: S9+35db on ANT1 and S-5 on ANT2). I don't remember
seeing a spec for this. Perhaps someone can comment.

Even with a few gripes, this radio is a huge success for TenTec. I am really
happy with it and am ready for CQWW, Sweepstakes, and the 160m contests this
fall/winter!

I was a little hesitant to bring it out, but I'm glad I did.

excellent QSK. In general, a great contest radio!

Regards,

Marty Ray, N9SE