[TenTec] Antenna Analyzers

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Antenna Analyzers
From: wlfuqu00@uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Wed Aug 13 10:51:27 2003
I have used 3 MFJ analyzers. Two have failed one was a fault in the
analyzer the second was an accidental application of reverse supply voltage
( picked up a reverse polarized 12 volt plug by mistake) and the third I am
using now. My major complaint is the same that I have with ICOM. That is
that they don't provide any documentation such as schematics or anything
that would be useful in repairing them. At least ICOM will sell you a
service manual. MFJ will not provide anything at any price the best I can
tell. So the other two remain unrepaired and the third is one my father
gave me when he won it at a hamfest. I would not have spent real money on
it but it has been useful.

      Oddly enough, reason the second was destroyed was due to an early
model of the Autek WM1 Computing Deluxe Power/SWR Meter I had. The early
ones had the inner pin of the power plug ground and the sleeve  +12 volts.
I mistakenly plugged the plug that was supposed to go to my Autek WM1 into
my MFJ analyzer and smoked it. Right after that I glued the connector to
the socket and have labeled wires to connect to the power supply.  I
believe they have changed their product since then. But I wonder how many
used older versions of the WM1 are connected in reverse.

73
Bill wa4lav

To: <tentec@contesting.com>