[TenTec] 450 ohm ladder line/ten tec tuner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 450 ohm ladder line/ten tec tuner
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:08:03 +0000
To get my open wire feed into my basement I bashed out a window pane that measured around 5 x 6 inches, got a same sized piece of plexiglass, drilled two holes in it 3" apart in the center, and put in banana plug sockets in the holes. I put banana plugs on the antenna end of the feedline, and soldered a short length of open wire feed to the inside ends of the sockets then with the plexiglass in the window, placed my feedline transmatch in front of the window and hooked the 1' length of feed to that and ran 8U 1318 coax from the transmatch to the shack (about 15') and plugged the antenna feedline in outside. I also had to run a short ground strap from the transmatch, around the window frame and outside to a rod to ground the transmatch. The banana sockets allow quick disconnect outside. I have been informed by other hams that this method was feasible only because I'm not married, hi. This keeps the transmatch indoors where it is easy to get to and tune, but minimizes the length of open wire feed inside.

What you do depends partly on how much power you are going to run. You can get away with more if you are running qrp. If you want to run several hundred watts or more, I highly recommend a method that keeps the open wire feed away from the shack and places the balun between the transmitter and the transmatch, i.e. use a transmatch designed for balanced feedline so a 1:1 balun can be used on the low impedence side where it can do its balun work with nice matches to look at and the transmatch itself is balanced and needs no balun on the hi Z open wire side.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ